Jul 12, 2003

Another one, by Cath Carroll:

TRUE CRIME MOTEL
--Cath Carroll

Oh Chicago, Chicago's got me doing things I thought
I'd never want to do. The sun's on fire on Lawrence
Avenue, a storm is forecast and it's coming just for
you. Will works the late shift at the all night store.
When tomorrow morning comes, he won't have to
work any more. And outside it's the same old city
scene. People like we might have been, running to get
out of the rain.

Will, I know you're much too young and I'm the one
who's had all of the fun, but don't you see, I can't let
you walk away the way I know that one day you are
going to walk away from me. You look so peaceful, I
swear they'll never tell. Until they try to wake you up
in this true crime motel. And outside, it's the same old
city scene. People like we might have been, running to
get out of the rain.

They'll be no churches in my dreams, just crimes and
conjuring tricks and you and other Christless things.
And I'll turn it up, I'll turn the TV up to mask the
silence of the phone that never rings. You shouldn't say I
can't be happy until I've thrown it all away. Or that
nothing will mean more to me than what I had
yesterday. And outside, it's the same old city scene.
People like we might have been, running to get out of
the rain.

No comments: