Jul 22, 2003

Am posting this for Kasey Mohammad. I wish I could go out there and take your Zombie class. I don't really think you'll like this poem very much, but it's the thought that counts, as they say...


BIOGRAPHY OF A REVENANT

Behind a veil of rain, the buds
of his favorite indigo tulips, forced open
like dark stars.

Removes his shirt to try to
feel the torrent's gift spurting
from skies once called
unomniscient.

This he had said:
Bring me the rain that breaks the flowers.

Branches droop, not in absolution
but recollection, a knot of spectres churns
overhead, unperturbed.

Strange, unquelled by phenomena,
the stuff underneath the skin
that still steams and bleeds.

This unsaid:
The wounds are so deep.

Quickened, stung to singing,
scratches on his back
where one couldn't
claw through:
I can't hide me
inside of you.


A hand held over the eyes
eclipses
only the brilliance of the blast,
the shockwave fills around him
like the drone of days.

Bring me the flowers that break the rain.

I don't care that the shed petals
are like snow on the now-living grass,
that shoots erupt from branches
called dead: the coils of the brain cannot
follow suit, limbs vanished & remembered
cannot be coaxed to bloom.


Already felled, he goes on walking
as if toward something,
arms outstretched as if
in defiance; finally drops
to his knees, as if
in prayer, lips forming, though,
only curses and names.

No comments: