Mar 2, 2004


PEEPS
New Portraits by Kate Ledogar
March 9-27
Reception Friday March 12, 7-9pm
Contact: Kate Ledogar at 617-441-3833 or kateledogar@yahoo.com

Kate Ledogar, owner of 108 gallery and columnist for the Weekly Dig, presents her new series of portraits of rock stars and others. Ledogar has shown many similar series over the past seven years: in 1997, portraits of coffee house regulars at the 1369 in Central Square, in 1999, a series of musicians, employees and other denizens of the Middle East Restaurant and in 2001 a group of 30 self portraits and 30 portraits of other people, displayed in grids at the Middle East, the Gibbs Gallery at the Arlington Center for the Arts and the Diesel in Somerville.

Her current series, PEEPS, focuses on a more diverse and personal group of friends and family, including her close friend Brooks Morris (owner of Buckaroo's Mercantile in Inman Square), two sets of retired parents and step parents (on Long Island, NY and South Venice Beach, FL), cable access semi-star Robby Road Steamer, Union Square sixth and seventh graders Vicki and Ralph, and other local heroes.

Kate says "Obviously I'm writing this myself, so I won't comment on the quality of the work. (Some of the pieces I like, some I think I could have done better.) Hopefully the series will give people a sense of my soft city - the world that I inhabit through the people that I know - and give the spectacular subjects of these portraits the spotlights that they deserve. "


No comments: