Mar 22, 2004

I think the next project may be Chinese Restaurants.


YENCHING RESTAURANT, HARVARD SQUARE, CAMBRIDGE, MA
for Catherine Meng


I want to ask how you're eating
out there, alone

at the In-n-Out Burger?
Me, there's nothing so
I dunno,
white as sitting here
in the dim fold of the Yenching fighting
the urge to order double
& proffer Mooshi to the house gods, to the
angry dead or the ones who never
were. I never really eat
alone, you see, it says
GHOST BUFFET above all the doors
I enter, & for the spook
brigade it's 24/7 all you can eat
hysteria. I'm here tonight with General Gao, Gao
from Hunan & I think
Herd Boy & Weaving Girl, too.
It all worked out for them in the end, he
quips, over by the fishtank
I think she's putting her head
in his lap & the invisible waitress
don't know what to feed
the ones without mouths;
I hear out there where you are they
get burgers Animal Style &
it's true any man is 1
among 999 other islands, we're
makling progress: 1 uh
1 um
1.
Here Gao, chere Gao, keeps
poking me with his wicked
stick: Monster!

Quitit.

Heretic!

Quitit.

There's something important he says
the way
all these birds are screeching & he says
the end of the world, the very end, that
tastes like chicken also.

No comments: