May 25, 2005

My two cents: one of the problems manifest in this here blogosphere is that we can't really see/hear/smell/bask in each other's auras--it's harder to call someone a nitwit when you think they're hot/cute/handsome or whatever. That's why parties don't turn into the same sort of slap-fights as we find hereabouts (well, not *here*-abouts, I think my general tangentiality has long since exceeded anyone's ability to give a shit...). Flame wars are the dark side of the etherial community which the internet provides. The advent of the comment-box may have changed the tenor of the scene a little bit, made it a little less diaristic with the addition of the notion that someone can respond to what you are saying; enter the social dynamic sans the corporeality of actual society; and thus I guess begins some kind of demolition derby of little id-homunculi. A necessary evil I suppose, though it might be more fun to just play some online Unreal Torunament or something ("Look out, Quietude has a railgun!...) Yes, I am neglecting the aesthetic shibboleths at stake here. Mostly because I am generally freaking sick of them...

No comments: