Oct 29, 2004

Rachel and I were walking through Coolidge Corner on the way to the Video Balagan on Thursday night when we passed a man, perhaps arabic, probably in his mid-50's or so standing on the street. He had a shaggy, grayish beard. He was speaking loudly, but not yelling to people who were passing by.

"Please, who want my 4 poems. Please take my 4 poems. Who want my 4 poems."

People were doing their best to ignore him, as I did, as anyone does, accustomed to blocking out such requests which so frequently occur on city streets. A few seconds later though, I found myself turning around and walking back.

"I want your 4 poems." I said.

The man exitedly began taking the photocopied sheets out of the pile and handing them to me. And proceeding with what I knew would come next.

"Please. Thank you. Take my 4 poems. Can you make a donation. I am homeless. Please copy the poems and give to your friends. Please."

I gave him $3 and thanked him.

"Thank you." Turning to walk away I walked a short distance up the street and a few moments later he followed after.

"Wait. You have all 4?"

We counted all 4.

"Thank you, God bless you. Give them to your friends."

The name on the poems is Ali Nikoonizad. Here are Mr. Nikoonizad's poems, as promised to him. The lines are all centered on the page, but I don't know how to do that in blogger:

CRY

Two orders fight in the mind
I'm very tired for my mind
Bad order, good order in the mind
What to do to these orders in the mind?
Do you have a good mind?
A ling time ago now, I don't have a good mind.
I'm sure, a very long time ago, we have a good person.
That person had and has a very good mind.
I said, "God, please give to me, give to him or her, give to
everybody, a good mind."
I don't like to do my bad order mind.

-Ali Nikoonizad

COPING

One, Two, THree
Check, check, check it out
Anything make you lazy
No good!
Wake up!
Open your eyes
Check it out
Find a good teacher
Find a good girlfriend
Hey, you too lady
If you want to find a good teacher
Find a good boyfriend
Yes, yes!
Please listen good
Find something good
Thinking good
Talking good
Doing good
Loving good
I want to say again
Please, look around good,
Generation before make a lot good
Check it out!
I need to check it out
You need to check it out
For make something good!
I know, you know
I'm sure God all the time
God is very very good!
Yeah check this out Please if you would.

-Ali Nikoonizad

Please check this out
Please don't say God don't make myself
I believe you, I believe yourself
I believe God, Yeah! I believe God
I am sure, I am very sure
God made you and God made me
God bless your side and yourself
God bless my side and myself
I need, I say God bless your generation and
the next generation. Amen

-Ali Nikoonizad

MY FRIEND WALTER

After God name. I need call God's Name.
I love God. I love God's name.
I have some best friend.
His name is Walter.
Very good, very kind is Walter.
Anytime I see him, he talks kind to me.
If I'm talking for something good,
show me nice face, Walter.
Yeah! Very good, very kind is Walter.
My friend, you want some friend, just like Walter?
Please make yourself just like Walter.
You see everybody is just like Walter.
God bless,
Amen!

-Ali Nikoonizad

No comments: