Mar 15, 2004

Groan



So I said to myself, why not agree to lead the first HBS Staff Book club discussion, especially since I was promised the liberty of chosing the first text. Somehow once I submitted the text I intended to have read and discuss (Jonathan Lethem's Fortress of Solitude) the After Hours program director called me back and amended it to "chosing the first text as long as it's on the New York Times bestseller list." After an inconceivably irritating conversation, we were able to compromise with the only book which has had any mainstream success that really interests me at all: Franzen's The Corrections, which I vaguely remember somebody who's opinion I value telling me that it wasn't a bad book and that I should get over myself and read it. Hopefully I am remembering this correctly. I may never get over myself, but it looks like I'll be reading and discussing this text. Have any of you read this thing? It's not horrible, right? Right?

How do I get myself into these things. I knew that attempting to interact with my coworkers was a bad idea...

Urgh......

No comments: